The Diakonia Centre is known as the home of social agencies committed to justice, peace and development. Established twenty years ago the Centre has been the home base for some of South Africa's most important non-governmental organisations.
The Diakonia Centre also offers one of South Africa's most comprehensive and well-equipped conference centres.
The Diakonia Centre is a Durban landmark. From 1914 the site of Convent High School and from 1962 -1972 of St Joseph's Primary School. In 1983 the building was taken over by the Ecumenical Centre Trust for the establishment of an ecumenical centre. The Diakonia Council of Churches took over the running of the Centre in 1998. It was later renamed the Diakonia Centre.
Mission statement of the Diakonia Centre
The Diakonia Centre operates on the basis of the Christian ethos. It is a place where people of every race, culture, class, age, nationality, language and religion should feel welcome and at home, confident that their human dignity is valued and honoured.
The particular purpose of the Centre is to provide an enabling environment for people and organisations committed to social transformation. It is hoped that their efforts will be strengthened by the networking, co-ordination and sharing of resources promoted in this environment.
The Centre provides facilities for meetings, conferences, and education programmes as well as office accommodation for organisations whose aims are in accord with the Centre's Mission Statement; actively promotes political tolerance and reconciliation and encourages the use of its facilities for dialogue and peacemaking; continues and strengthens it support for the poorest and most marginalised people, and for those who serve them.
For more information on the Centre, please contact:
Tel: +27 (31) 310 3501/3521
or fax: +27 (31) 310 3506.
The Centre's conference facilities offer:
* Central location for public transport
* 35 mins from King Shaka International Airport
* Four venues which can be arranged into different room combinations to meet your conference and training requirements
* Registration areas and refreshment stations on each level
* Excellent acoustics with PA Sound System
* 30m of adjustable stage area available in the Denis Hurley Hall
* 30m of adjustable dance or performance floor area available in the Denis Hurley Hall
* All conference rooms well ventilated and air-conditioned
* Archie's Cafe for refreshments, light meals, and conference catering
* Free internet use for conference delegates at Internet Cafe
* Public telephone facilities
* Digital and AV media equipment
* Ample toilet facilites
* Wheel chair access to Level 1 conference area, toilets, and cafe
* Office accommodation for conference organisers
Additional Equipment includes:
* PA Systems
* Movable white board and pinning boards
* 72cm Video Monitor on AV Trolley
* Data/Video Projector
* VHS/DVD/CD/Mpeg Players
Basic Equipment in each room includes:
* Wall-mounted "silent-ring" telephone
* LAN Connection
* Audio-visual Screen
* White boards
For more information on the Conference Centre, please contact:
Tel: +27 (31) 310 3523
Fax: +27 (31) 310 3506.